Shippity is a fictional Australian small business courier service.
My brief was to design a responsive web-based platform for small businesses to send, track and manage parcel delivery.
Usability & Product Research
I conducted discovery interviews with both senders and receivers to learn more about their experiences with couriers, as well as sending/receiving online.
I used my insights to create user personas and journey maps that I empathised with to ideate solutions
Prototyping & Testing
I created low-fidelity prototypes and flow charts, which I then tested in unmoderated usability research with potential consumers.
I iterated on these prototypes using my learning and continuously tested.
Interface Design & Handoff
I created high-fidelity user interface designs for the solution, as well as a basic design system and branding for the company.
I turned the high-fidelity designs into a prototype by connecting elements in Figma.
Each screen was fully mobile responsive, designed to be implemented using Progressive Web App (PWA) architecture.
- I used Google Forms to survey both senders and receivers on their previous experiences with parcel couriers. My initial research helped me discover gaps and successes in user’s experiences which I factored into my design process.
- I conducted guerilla interviews with local small business owners in-person, as well as compensated remote interviews with shoppers and senders.
- I created several personas to empathise with, including small business owners, employees, those adapting to online during COVID-19, eBay sellers, online shopaholics and occasional shoppers.
- I created a business account for several major Australian small business parcel delivery services to explore patterns, trends and opportunities.
- Australia Post MyPost Business
- Australia Post eParcel
- Aramex Australia (previously Fastway Couriers)
- Toll MyToll
- FedEx Express/TNT
User interface iterations were made using feedback from testers, and visual annotations from me.
What would be the next step if this was a commercial project?
- Design the consumer parcel tracking experience for receivers
- Design the commercial marketing website and brand
- Create a business case for future designs
What did I learn?
- Guerilla testing with local businesses
- Competitive analysis
- Unmoderated usability testing
- Low-fidelity testing